01293 55 22 88

Do I need Building Regulation Approval?

Building Regulations are a legal requirement laid down by Government for certain home improvements and building works!

"Building Regulations are a legal requirement laid down by Government, aimed at achieving adequate standards of building work for the construction of domestic and commercial buildings. They aim to ensure the heath and safety of people in and around buildings. They are also concerned with energy conservation and access and facilities for disabled people. And for providing functional requirements for building design and construction. If you want to put up a new building, extend or alter an existing one, or provide fittings in a building such as drains or heat-producing appliances, then building regulations will probably apply".

Some of these projects can be managed through ‘Competent Persons Schemes’ Certain trades bodies self certify their members work and issue Building Regulations Certificates to their customers.

As the homeowner, it is your responsibility to ensure that the Building Regulations application is made and that you obtain a Completion Certificate when the work is finished-regular liaison with your builder is essential to ensure your building is safe.

It is worth noting, that Building Regulations are a minimum standards, and do not cover quality of workmanship beyond that required to ensure the basic safe construction of the building. It is possible therefore that a building which complies with the Building Regulations may not meet the finishing standards that you desire and you should be mindful of this when you are entering into contractual arrangements with your builder.

The type of domestic projects that require Building Regulations consent include:

  • Extensions
  • Garage, Loft or cellar conversions
  • Structural alterations e.g. removing load bearing walls
  • Alterations to drainage, hot water or heating systems
  • New or replacement windows
  • Cavity Wall Insulation
  • Electrical work
  • Some garages
  • Some conservatories
  • Underpinning
  • Change of use to flats, an annex or non-domestic use